A Travellerspoint blog

March 19 Venturing Out and about

Town of Maleny then onto the Australian zoo

semi-overcast 26 °C
View Unnamed Trip on dpanusa's travel map.

Friday morning March 19, 2010 in Australia

This morning I woke up at 6am – work habit I guess.
So I made myself a cup of coffee and watched the local news.
Then as I felt more awake, I decided it was time to paint my toe nails :-)
News, coffee, comfort and a sunny start to the day – nice.
I did not order breakfast from this resort because I wanted the excuse to visit the surrounding area.
I wasn't sure what time the cafes would open for breakfast so gave myself until 9am before venturing out. I drove into Maleny for the first time.

Another town on a hill – oh gosh. I found public parking and just slowly shuffled along in my most interested tourist look – grin. I found a cafe where a lot of men were picking up their coffees and eats, so I figured it must be good. I sat down with a soy latte and a delicious date scone with butter and jam.
Also gave another look at the coins that are used here, takes a little getting used to! 50 cent is huge, no quarters but a 20 cent piece, then a 10 cent piece. The $1 is smaller than all those, and the $2 is smaller than the $1.00
I asked the young lady there where the internet cafe was. She knew and it wasn't too far away!
The town is like Commercial Drive in Vancouver – but – on a hill and quite sunny. I noticed a lot of older people around, but it is 10 am Friday morning. As I was window shopping, I found a hair salon that was done in modern (out of context with everything else) style, so I popped in to see if the owner could squeeze an appointment in tomorrow to do my hair – blow dry and straightening iron. I hadn't brought all of my hair stuff because it is way toooo much and I planned on going as rough as I could – hey I'm on holiday, no stress! She was so nice! I saw her schedule was full, but she could look after my hair needs at 11:15am tomorrow. Done. The wedding is at 3:30pm Saturday.

I did wander in and out of the various shops. I found the internet cafe and wrote quickie emails to my son, sister and friend. I plan on typing more up in my laptop and then uploading from my laptop, as the cafe allows this with their cable. The cost is $2.50 for 15 minutes, I went on for 20 minutes and no more was charged. Thank you.

Then was feeling weak, so time to go back to the car. I drove around a bit to have more look sees. I headed back to my cottage for a rest. I pulled out my meditation item on my MP3 and felt much better afterwards.

This is my update in my journal after that rest. On with the day..now.

My tummy says it is lunchtime, so where to go? My first thought was the Steve Irwin Australian Zoo as it is not too far from here (about 45 mins I think); plus it will fill in the rest of my day. I checked with my host Terry for directions and off I went south to the zoo. It was on a direct route and easy to find. I arrived at 1pm. Big parking lot, no fee to park. Of course, once I got to the entrance, the fee to get in was $55 . I am not an experienced participant in such outings, so I was surprised, but hey it's a part of my journey; and I paid.

This is a good outing. The zoo covers 70 acres; they are anticipating growing to 300 acres. To my sensibilities there seems to be a good space for each type of animal. This is a warm climate with rain so the vegetation is lush. The animals looked healthy, no scrawny or wobbly walking things. There is a continuous shuttle that you can get on and off at so that it was easier for me to prioritize what I wanted to spend my time and energy on. There was a big food court building with shade and open to the breeze, although it was still warm – of course. There are shows at specific times for specific animals and the shows do not overlap, so it is possible to stay for all of them. Every animal station has a dedicated time for hands on by people and these times are posted. The koala bear area has many koalas so they rotate the bears and this allows people all day to have the opportunity to pet their lower back area. There is a main stage event twice a day and I was there for the 2pm show. Crikey it was a bit corny for the introduction, and yet this is a good warm up I suppose. Very good information at helping the animal conservation. The most fascinating to me were the trained wild birds flying around the open stadium! Oh my gosh, they flew like fighter jets across our faces, again and again! The crocodile show was okay.

Of course there are many opportunities to buy stuff, but I am just at the start of my 21 days trip and I don't want to have to pack around stuff. Bindi Irwin's souvenirs will have to be purchased over the internet for my granddaughters! So after 3 hours, I was tired and needed to leave and the shuttle was on its last run now at 4:30pm. Time to go.

Posted by dpanusa 03:26 Archived in Australia Tagged tourist_sites

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint